- Caillois, R. (1961). Man, play, and games. New York: Free Press of Glencoe.
- Gee, J. P. (2003). What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Nicholson, S. (2010). Everyone plays at the library : Creating great gaming experiences for all ages. Medford, N.J: Information Today.
- Nicholson, S. (2012). Strategies for Meaningful Gamification: Concepts behind Transformative Play and Participatory Museums. In the Proceedings of Meaningful Play 2012, Lansing, Michigan.
- Nicholson, S. (2012). Completing the Experience: Debriefing in Experiential Educational Games. In the Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference on Society and Information Technologies. Winter Garden, Florida:International Institute of Informatics and Systemics. 117-121.
Flaming Goat/Mystery Games